Pupil voice is extremely important to life at Kirk Merrington Primary School. At the beginning of each school year, children learn about ‘Democracy’ and are given the opportunity to be part of our school council. A new school council is elected with representatives from every class from Year 1 to Year 6. All school council representatives are elected by their class peers and are involved in making our school a better place to learn.
The school council meets regularly to speak on behalf of the whole school and make decisions about school life. Class representatives feedback ideas from meetings to their classes. The school council allows the opinions of our pupils to be valued and shared with the Headteacher and other members of staff.
Our school council representatives are:
Year 1 – Poppy and Jacob
Year 2 – Joshua and Sienna
Year 3 – Harrison and Poppy Y
Year 4 – Amelia and Sophie
Year 5 – Ben and Romilly
Year 6 – Neve and Vincent
Our Aims for 2019 – 2020:
- School council members to meet regularly to discuss their views.
- To lead a whole school assembly so everyone can meet their representatives.
- Organise a fundraising event each term to raise money for the school and decide how the money will be used.
- Contribute to charity and whole school events.
- Meet with other school council members from local schools.
- To support the school to learn more about British Values and celebrate special events through our Family Group meetings.