We believe that inclusive education means supporting all pupils to learn, contribute and participate in all aspects of school life alongside their peers. Our curriculum includes, not only the formal requirements of the National Curriculum, but also a range of additional opportunities to enrich the experiences of our children. Our curriculum also includes the social aspects that are essential for life-long learning, personal growth and development of independence.
Some of the actions we may take to achieve this are:
- Use a range of teaching and learning styles
- Differentiated learning materials
- Access to ICT and technology
- Additional in-class support
- Additional out-of-class support
- Enrichment and enjoyment opportunities to stimulate and motivate learning
- Flexible groupings – including small group support work
- An innovative and supportive curriculum
- The appropriate use of rewards
- Clear assessment procedures that emphasise pupils strengths and achievements
- Applications during national testing as KS2 to obtain access arrangements as appropriate
To ensure the highest quality provision for all pupils across the curriculum all staff has KMPS use the document “Embedding Inclusive Practice”.
This outlines a range of inclusive strategies which can be employed for each subject in the curriculum.
More details on how we adapt information, our environment and curriculum can be found in the Accessibility Plan and our Accessibility Action Plan which can be found in the school policies section of our website.
At Kirk Merrington Primary School we do our best to ensure that all children are offered the opportunity to participate in activities outside the classroom and extra- curricular activities. We ensure that reasonable adjustments are made to enable children with SEND to access a full curriculum and to enrich the experiences of all pupils. We are prepared to seek advice, resources, equipment and training in order to provide high quality experiences for our children. Many settings offer support and advice in meeting the needs of children with SEND and offer specific risk assessments which are sent to the school prior to school outings or visits. As a school we ensure that suitable and accessible transport is provided and that comprehensive risk assessments cover travel arrangements to ensure that all children are safe during excursions.